Sunday, March 18, 2007

National intelligence (IQ) and outcomes

Tonight the CBC "Test the Nation" show aired. I just checked my hit counter and see a significant increase in hits from Canada. Welcome to my neighbors to the north.

In case folks are interested in recent scholarly research on studies of national IQ and different outcome variables, I've done a quick literature search of my professional reference database. Below are the articles I found. Warning -- I've not read any of these articles in depth nor do I have much interest in this specific topic in the field of intelligence (see my vita and web page for my interests). This is primarily an FYI post for those who may want to read some of this literature. Readers will need to evaluate the journal articles on their own.

If I can do it....I might provide links to copies of some of the pdf articles yet this evening (if I have them on my hard drive) Stay tunned.

  • Barber, N. (2005). Educational and ecological correlates of IQ: A cross-national investigation. Intelligence, 33(3), 273-284.
  • Lynn, R., & Vanhanen, T. (2001). National IQ and economic development: A study of eighty-one nations. Mankind Quarterly, 41(4), 415-435.
  • Voracek, M. (2004). National intelligence and suicide rate: an ecological study of 85 countries. Personality and Individual Differences, 37(3), 543-553.
  • Voracek, M. (2005). National intelligence, suicide rate in the elderly, and a threshold intelligence for suicidality: An ecological study of 48 Eurasian countries. Journal of Biosocial Science, 37(6), 721-740.
  • Whetzel, D. L., & McDaniel, M. A. (2006). Prediction of national wealth. Intelligence, 34(5), 449-458.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

powered by performancing firefox

No comments: